Sunday, December 9, 2018

Day 14: Dachau and another amazing burg

(Apologies in advance if there are any spelling or grammatical mistakes - Blogger is having a freakout. This is my third attempt trying to properly publish).

Day 15 Adelaide and I woke up after another night of little sleep. Friday night is party night in Munich, and between the tram, street sweepers and Lads having a chat at 3am we were really tired (also my snoring apparently). Groggily we left the hotel in search of more caffination. Our brekkie minds were made up when Adelaide spotted anotbrr breakfast fellows at Central station. We decided to investigate and see if their Bagels were even better than the day before. We ordered the same as yesterday, two avo bagels, this time Adelaide tried the "everything" bun and we took a chance on the cappacinos. With an extra shot they weren't half bad. I think I still prefer a double espresso...

We were tempted to have another quiet day. I was feeling under the weather again (no help from the lack of sleep). Rather than not do any thing at all, which feels like a bit of a waste, we discussed maybe just checking out Olympia tower, but I did really want to go to Dachau while I was here. We decided we do that and that would be it for the day. Besides, it maybe draining enough.

To get to Dachau, we had to get a train from Central station to Dachau (the "suburb") then a bus. The local train system is quite cheap and pretty easy to get around, once we had spent a bit of time deciphering zones. We swapped trains at laim (the farthest "central" station out) but once we arrived at Dachau we didn't think we actually needed to, we may have made it on our original one.



When we arrived at the station we figured we would walk out to the camp instead of grt the bus, and it was a rather nice stroll through the nearby streets. It was good to get a taste of suburban Germany.

As we got nearer, I found it a bit eerie. We went down a street nearby and all traffic noise silenced. All that was heard was a town bell nearby and a ravens caw. It doesn't cost anything to get into Dachau, and the camp has been converted as a memorial and museum to the atrocities. It was one of the early camps to be constructed and held mostly polticial prisoners before the war broke out. The main administration building was the museum, but there still remained a barracks behind it, and two of the huts. It was a pretty humbling experience, and I found it quite interesting, despite the awful reality of what went on.


We spent between two and three hours learning about the camp before we felt it time to leave. Addy and I decided to get the bus back to the station this time which turned out to be a mistake. As many of the early morning visitors (us included) started to leave, the bendy bus back to the station was cramped and we had to all squish in like sardines. The driver was quite kind however and didn't lose it when people accidentally pressing the bell. He even stopped for a local who wanted to get on, but he had to get one of the passengers at the front of the bus, out, to go back and tell them to move in, then the driver jokingly inched forward before the guy made his way back to the front.

A bike library I found trying to find the loo
The train back to the station was just as easy to get, although while we were waiting for it we realised we needed to use the very nondescript green boxes to stamp our passes to "validate" them. We weren't stopped by any officers or turnstiles till then however (because there weren't any!)

Adelaide was feeling a bit hungry by now, so after a quick search for restaurants, we spotted "Taco Libre", a Mexican place just a block from Munich Hbf. It was run by an American lady. The menu was pretty simple. Adelaide had a quesadilla, while I got the burrito and we had accompanying tortilla chips with guac (more avo!) and salsa. I should have opted for chicken, because I found the beef a tad suspect... Overall it was okay, but I would take guzman over that any day.


It was time for a scheduled siesta. We adjorned to our hotel for the afternoon and had a nap, hoping to catch up on some sleep.

When dinner rolled around, we didn't feel like doing much, so we found another Burger place nearby, Hans I'm Grut. Online it had the same feel as Drunken Cow, so we weren't sure how fancy it might be.

It was definitely quieter when we arrived, and had some cool decor with exposed tree trunks. We got seated and the waiter left us with German menus, not that interested. It wasn't till around 10 minutes later a different waiter came to take our order, and got us some English ones which ended our attempt to translate them without any internet.



The place had a cool fairy tale theme, and many of the food nd drinks followed that trend. I had an hamburger with avacado, cheese nd bacon, while Adelaide went for the chicken Burger with????. To round out our first full day without booze, I had a mock tail filled with cranberry, ginger, lime and ginger beer to try help fix my nose. Addy followed suit but just got a ginger beer. 

When the burgs came out they tasted amazing. I thought they were better than the day before.


Over dinner the topic of tipping came up again and we realised we may have been short changing our other waiters before thst. With no internet though I couldn't consult Google to find out. The menu did specify at the back the prices included tax... But nothing about service. We prepared to tip our waiter when they brought the card machine around but awkwardedly thanked them, and Adelaide left the change on the table. Guess that's okay? 

We were too full for dessert afterwards, but we tried going via a local supermarket anyway, which was closed, to maybe have an ice cream.

Tchuss!
D+A


No comments:

Post a Comment